Sunday 11 November 2012

First Response


We read a play called DNA by Dennis Kelly. From the first view words of the play I was immediately drawn in. Dennis kept me questioning throughout the play, keeping me on edge the entire time. The play kicks in with the word "Dead”, short but extremely effective. Later on we start to un-ravel the mystery of Dennis's play.

Dennis's informal writing style kept me focused because I relate to the language used. I understood the story-line and the charters in it. In the play we discover one of the characters "Adam" who has been harassed and teased by a young group of teen-agers. We find out that Adam has supposedly fell down a grille after the teenagers had been tormenting him. We realize that Adam was taken advantage of and he was just used to be laughed at.

I was attracted to certain charters more than others. On in particular was Leah, she appealed to me because of how desperate she was, which made her character effective and stand out. I felt sympathy for her because of the attention she craved but never got from Phil. Leah rambled on to Phil, getting nowhere and beginning to make herself feel frustrated and ramble on further. Phil starts to agitate and annoy the audience by saying nothing. Phil particularly intrigues me. His character is puzzling and you want to know the reasoning to why he takes no notice of Leah's attempts to get his attention. Phil is not a character that appeals to me because of his unsettling personality. 

We do eventually discover that Adam has survived and has been living in the woods surviving on leaves. At the very end of the play Dennis creates a cliff hanger that leaves your mind spinning. Overall Dennis is an extremely talented play writer that has written a play using characters that are a similar age to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment